Friday, April 28, 2023

Jake's Butte - Dunbarney School

I always stop at this place, it's right along a paved highway and it's easy to photograph. I have stopped here several times over the years and will continue to until it falls down or I do. 

A hill, a school, and a ranch (still in operation) in the area all share the name of Jake's Butte. Named after Jake Lewis. According to the book, "As We Remember Big Valley", round-up cook Jake Lewis set up camp at the bottom of a hill but the riders couldn't find the camp. Jake put a lantern on top the hill so the riders could spot him, the hill was then named Jake's Butte and the school was also so named. The original school was used from 1913-1943, when Dunbarney School was then moved on site and used until 1950. It closed permanently when Ozark School was moved just over a mile away and Jake's Butte became redundant. It was then sold to the Jake's Butte Community Society. It appears that it was also a home at some point.


*I have an update, I was doing some more reading and found an undated image of Dunbarney School, which was moved to Jake's Butte in 1943. I am reasonably sure that they are the same building. The roofline, 2 small windows on the north side, and the chimney match, it appears the entry way was removed but the roof piece is still there. 

References: Pioneering with a Piece of Chalk; As We Remember Big Valley

21 comments:

  1. ...first off, I hope that it falls down before you do! Butte must have a different meaning in Alberta than elsewhere. I thought that a butte was a hill with steep straight sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a bit of a misnomer, not any significant buttes around there.

      Delete
  2. If it was used as a house one time it certainly had lots of windows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a charming story about how Jake's Butte got its name! And you know, I was just thinking about Big Valley today. A few years ago we took that train excursion from Stettler to Big Valley, which culminated in an absolutely delicious buffet meal catered by the locals at the Legion. OMG the roast beef! the gravy! the desserts! I still dream of that meal. One of my top three of all time, I kid you not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have done that train excursion, and LOVED it! The buffet was great and then I spent all my time lurking around the roundhouse ruins.

      Delete
  4. I bet it never crossed Jake's mind that his name would live on in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interest history... but it certainly needs some tender loving care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the contrast of colour to b&w. Appropriate for the setting for sure. Great history too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These scenes do look great in b&w!

      Delete
  7. If only this place could tell us its story, how wild it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that every time I look at an old home or school.

      Delete
  8. Nice detective work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It's nice to have so many digital versions of local history books available.

      Delete
  9. That's great that you're back to writing your blogs again Jenn. I remember the story of Jake's Butte School. It's a cool story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glen, I knew that story too from 'the book' but the part about Dunbarney School was new.

      Delete
  10. Great little schoolhouse. Hope it stands for many more years (as I hope you do too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks a little rough but I think it will be ok for a while.

      Delete