Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Signs & Rooflines

Long before Forest Lawn was a neighbourhood in Calgary, it began as settlement of homesteaders in 1910. In 1935 the Village of Forest Lawn was formed by amalgamating 2 villages (Albert Park and Forest Lawn). Forest Lawn became a town in 1953 and a few years later, in 1961, it was annexed by the City of Calgary. 

If you're from Calgary, the name Forest Lawn probably brings up an opinion, stereotype, or pre-conceived notion of the area. While it may have an 'it's complicated' relationship status with the rest of the city, there is no doubt that it is also a unique and culturally diverse part of the city. The main street through the area, 17th Avenue SE, is now known as International Avenue. 

I lived and worked in the area for many years and saw lots of good things, met great people, and made great memories. I worked at a bank and also a flower shop on 17th Avenue SE and also owned 2 homes in the area, one of which is where I was living when my son was born. I also saw some not so good things, including my first ever dead body...but that is another story. 

If you didn't already know, I am a fan of old signs, especially old and vintage neon signs. On a recent drive around my old neighbourhoods, I stopped for a picture of 2 of my favourite signs. This building below, built in 1965 (thanks to Chris at BigDoer for that info), with the wonderful roofline, is in the heart of International Avenue.

The 4 Seas sign lives on, even after the restaurant is long gone.

A block west from the 4 Seas is Paradise Lanes. Still open for business.

I barely scratched the surface of International Avenue and may have to dive a bit deeper for a future post. Thanks for visiting.


14 comments:

  1. ...these are great! The scalloped roof line looks right out of the '50s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, found out this one is from 1965.

      Delete
  2. Those are great old signs! And love that crazy roof line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks William, how's Ottawa for old signs?

      Delete
  4. The old signs are treasures. Nice composition with the roofs on the first image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, I like how the photo turned out.

      Delete
  5. The signs are similar to ones I remember from my youth. These are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame that more don't get saved or restored.

      Delete
  6. I think that roofline qualifies as a googie design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this sort of thing and hope you'll go back to take some more photos for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thinking about it non-stop!

      Delete