Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Fox in the Rocks

Now that the weather is nicer, I have got back to evening walks around town. Tonight on my walk I spotted a fox watching me as I walked by a little hill in the field behind my house. I didn't want to get too close or be 'that person' that gets too close to the wildlife, so I kept going but as I went around the side of the hill there were baby foxes playing amongst a big pile of large rocks on the back side of the hill, at least 6 or 7 of them. They saw me and darted back into their den but would peek out and look. 

I have know that there were foxes back here for years and would see one occasionally but always just fleetingly. One night a few summers ago, I was awoken by the sounds of 2 of them barking/shrieking at each other in front of my house in the middle of the night. The sound is hard to describe but it did answer the age old question, 'what does the fox say?"

I snapped a quick zoomed in photo, told the fox family to have a good night and be safe and I headed home. 

Did you spot the 2nd fox?



21 comments:

  1. Nice photo. They like to look, but if you keep a distance away they will not bother you... most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fun to watch, I never saw the mom again but the babies kept popping out!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They must have a whole little system down there! Neat to see.

      Delete
  3. I said hello to a fox some nights ago. He looked at me like I was nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes foxes are very cheeky and watch you from safety. Other times they disappear like smoke. Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure mama fox was watching from somewhere.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! Had to make do with the crappy iPhone zoom in.

      Delete
  6. What a cute little fox, great pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see the other one down in the corner of the pic?

      Delete
  7. What a cutie! Wish they were still around down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised that there is this one and another fox den so close to where I live.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you, they are such cool little creatures!

      Delete
  9. I didn't see the 2nd one until I saw your prompt about it. They are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are, I am tempted to go back with a better lens and stay farther away and see if they'll come out and play.

      Delete
  10. So cute! Love the one in the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute little creatures. Some of our foxes have moved into towns and have become very bold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Years ago I was snowshoeing on a favorite trout stream when I came face to face (20') with a red fox. We both froze and I eventually began to turn about when he leaped up the bank and was gone. Never seen or heard him the rest of the day but I'll always wonder how long we stared each other down... felt like minutes but was probably under 30 seconds.

    ReplyDelete