Tuesday, April 11, 2023

House of Learning

What is it about a one-room schoolhouse? I can't pinpoint the start of my fascination with them. I didn't grow up in a rural area, neither did my mother. My dad did, but by the time he was in school he was bussed to the nearby town of Taber for school. My maternal grandparents though both came from rural southern Saskatchewan and have told stories of the one room schools they attended, life on the Canadian Prairies during the Great Depression, the Dirty 30's, and WW2. 

I supposed these relics of the pioneer days of Alberta and of days gone by will always hold a certain mystery. It almost feels not entirely real thinking about then and now. 

This is a favourite school of mine to visit, it is called Shooting Lake, however it is not the original Shooting Lake School building. The original school opened in 1907, and was closed in 1938. The building was condemned in 1941 and finally in 1949 the Manthano School building was moved to this site. The school finally closed in 1953 and became a community centre in 1955. 






Undated photo of Manthano School from Botha Memories.

Do you wonder the origins of some of these names? Sometimes the origins are easy, they can be traced to a place where the pioneers originated, or a prominent local person. Interestingly, Manthano is a Greek word meaning "House of Learning". 

The more you know, the more you realize you don't know. 


14 comments:

  1. ...what a treat to see you post on my readers list. Your header and old school are right up my alley. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom!! I always appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  2. That's a grand but appropriate name for a little one room schoolhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, isn't it great!! Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete
  3. A beautiful name for a place which meant so much to the families in the area! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There aren't very many of these old schools left. Obviously this one served s a community center but now there aren't enough people for a community center. My favorite is the Outlook school north of Bentley where it's just the yard that's left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Red! Yes so many became community centres. I think I have seen the sign for Outlook School. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jenn, it's nice to see a post from you. I love these old buildings, they have so much history and tell us their stories if we can find them. Love the skies in your photos, they add some drama. Take care and have a fine day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, sometimes the sky is what makes me get up and go for a drive.

      Delete
  6. Welcome back, you've been missed. I share your enthusiasm for old buildings and it's important that these wooden schoolhouses are recorded - they can't last for many more years. The texture of the weathered woodwork is particularly appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! I appreciate the comment. It's nice to see the ones that have been taken care of or restored but these old weathered beauties are so darn appealing.

      Delete
  7. Evocative. Where I grew up, the schools dated to the 50s or 60s, but I can think of a former schoolhouse that got converted into a home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is a beauty! Always liked old buildings painted that creamy-yellow colour.

    ReplyDelete