Sunday, September 29, 2019

Chailey Corner

I FINALLY got out for some exploring in an area I have been wanting to return to, this time with a map of stops. Very organized for me...very. I met up with a fellow blogger and friends, for a full day of nothing but back roads and beef jerky, my go to travel snack. Note to self: Back Roads and Beef Jerky as an alternate blog title.

I don't even know where to start with all the amazing places that I photographed. So I will start with Chailey. I don't think Chailey ever developed into a town but there was definitely a pioneer community. Now, the Chailey district consists of a school and a church surrounded by farmland. Both the church and the school are Municipal Historic Resources as well as being listed on the Alberta Register of Historic Places. 

There was also a post office there from 1907-1956, located in the homes of various local residents. In fact Chailey got it's name from the hometown of the first Postmaster, C.H. Brown, who came from Chailey in Sussex, England. 

Chailey School SD#2140 1910-1953
The school was completed in August of 1910 and ready to open it's door to grades 1-8. In 1922, it was expanded to it's current size. 2 years after the school closed it was acquired by the community for use as a hall. It is still used on occasion. 

St. Alban's Anglican Church 1908-1978
This area was settled by mainly British settlers and the received a 50 pound endowment from the Colonial and Continental Society of England. St. Alban's and other churches who also received this endowment are referred to as '50 Pounders'. This is something I'd like to learn more about later.

The church sits across the road from the school, surrounded by trees and a well kept lawn with a small cemetery in the back. The church itself is small and was built to seat only 36 people. It was not open unfortunately and I was not able to see the interior. I think it is still used for special occasions.

Enjoy the images of Chailey!



A new door and there is no teacherage now, otherwise it looks mostly the same!
I wonder if it was always blue? Top photo courtesy of the Provincial Archives of Alberta.

Play Ball?
A new sign for an old church.


So cute!


References: https://hermis.alberta.ca/

22 comments:

  1. I just saw that south-western Alberta is receiving a huge amount of snow - and it's still September! I wonder what these scenes look like today. Brrrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, yes Southern Alberta got hit pretty hard, I am in Central Alberta and we only got a tiny bit of snow. So glad I was able to get out for a bit of fall last weekend!

      Delete
  2. ...Jenn, you are a magician with your camera. What fabulous images here, thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom! I feel so much better after having been able to get out for an explore.

      Delete
  3. Splendid photos, I look forward to seeing more from this expedition. Fascinating to see how the church-builders managed to copy the main features of an English village church, but using timber rather than stone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! I love finding and seeing all these pioneer churches, considered old here but not so much there! I suppose it reminded them of home.

      Delete
  4. "Back Roads and Beef Jerky" would make a great title for a country song too. I like how you contrast old photos with today's photos. And those skies! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra, haha I like it!
      Had a good explore a couple hours east of Edmonton. LOTS to see!!

      Delete
  5. 1st off....your pictures are beautiful. So glad I landed here.

    2nd...how is it possible that that is the EXPANDED schoolhouse? Teeny tiny as it is.

    Last, the church is incredibly simple and probably just fit the needs of the people in the area. Isn't just like the old farmers to be bare bones and purposeful. No need to go fancy.

    I look forward to the next batch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! Thanks for stopping by! This schoolhouse is a good size compared to others I have seen. Exactly right, a place to gather and worship, they sure made a go of tough conditions!

      Delete
  6. A great series of beautiful photos. I always enjoy seeing the skies in your photos, they are amazing. It's also amazing that the buildings you find are still standing and look basically the same as the historical versions. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! These buildings are doing well thanks to their historic designation, I am glad to see them in such good condition.

      Delete
  7. The memories within those walls! Wonderful that the buildings are so well maintained. Great photos, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, I imagine it looked much the same 100 years ago and am glad to see these buildings protected.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Hi William, I agree. It looked very pretty in it's yard surrounded by trees.

      Delete
  9. I love that both the Chailey church and school are still being used for special events Jenn, they are both lovely pieces of architecture ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PDP, it is nice to see that the community still comes together here.

      Delete
  10. That little church is a sweetheart! Hmmm...no shots of the cemetery? :-) There was a Saint Alban's Anglican Church southeast of Medicine Hat. The church is long gone but the small cemetery remains. Nice pioneer school too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummmmm, not really, but it is in the background of one of the photos!! ;)

      Delete
  11. I remember when I first saw St Albain's. I was so disappointed to see it covered up with vinyl siding. I know it's tempting to used vinyl so the church won't require repainting but it looks terrible with the modern material on the historic structure. Sadly it is done now and unless a major wind tears it off, the siding will probably outlast the building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glen, I don't think it's vinyl. The boards up close look too uneven to be vinyl. Also with historic designation I don't think vinyl is allowed.

      Delete