Monday, November 12, 2018

Bismark

This spot has always been one of those 'I'll stop next time I go by' places, I have probably passed it a dozen times before. It's a cemetery, it's likely not going anywhere.



You can only see the sign from the highway and a path going into the trees. The pleasant looking path curves around and leads you to a small little clearing where you can park before opening the gate to the cemetery. It look likes a relatively small cemetery but there is a hill in the middle and more graves beyond it that you can't see at first glance.

Bismark, like many places I have visited, used to be a busy pioneer district that had a Lutheran church, school, post office (from 1903-1922) and a sawmill.

According to Place Names of Alberta Vol. III, Bismark was named after German Chancellor Otto von Bismarck. Many of the early settlers where of German origin.






I mentioned above that there used to be a school in the area and that got me wondering if it might still be there. So even though this post was started in September, I had a chance to finish it this last weekend by going in search of the school. Online searching gave me hope as it appeared to still be there. Only one way to find out....





I call this trip a success. I located the school, there is no marker (that I saw), which surprised me as this area has marked their old schools districts. However,  I am going to say with confidence that this is Bismark School since it fits the maps and also is near Bismark Cemetery.  The school opened in 1904 or 1905 and operated until centralization of the local school districts to Crestomere in 1953.

 **UPDATE**
Well folks, I was wrong, I admit it. I had a comment saying the building I assumed was the school was actually the old Lutheran Church that was moved and that the school had burned down. After searching with this new info in mind,  I found that in 1908 a lot was selected, the church was built and the cemetery was developed. The church was relocated in 1947. The congregation joined another parish and then disbanded in 1976.

If this reaches anyone else with more information, stories, photos....I'd love to know or see more!
Thank you.

Abandoned. On the same site as the old church. 





33 comments:

  1. ...that cemetery sign looks like one that I'd see for an old restaurant. I find lot of cemeteries like this one with toppled stones. All these abandoned places are similar to what I see around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, yes it's a bit unusual I thought!
      I suppose pioneer cemeteries all look similar. This one was still in use, there was an impressive family plot that had a very elaborate headstone.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Marie! Breaks my heart to see these old places like that. Once so full of life.

      Delete
  3. You wonder how long the buildings might last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William, not much longer I'm sure. I have to see as many as possible now.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Gorges, that's exactly how I feel about all these places.

      Delete
  5. Doesn't look like there is much life left for those buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been at this century Sverdlovsk times. Please... from which direction is the town site from the cemetery? I have driven the roads in this area and cannot locate. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Don, I am not sure but I think you meant you have been at the cemetery several times? I am not exactly sure where the townsite was in relation to the cemetery. What I saw was east of the cemetery.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the Bismark Lutheran Church. The school burnt down. The church use to be at the cemetery but was moved another section east. The school was probably where the church now stands but a farmer bought it; moved it on to his land & lived in it for awhile. I’m thinking the little abandoned bldg was a teacherage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo Jo, thank you for the info!! So glad to know this....even if it means I was wrong lol! Old churches and schools look similar sometimes, and I guess I shouldn't assume. I appreciate you commenting on my blog. Thanks!!

      Delete
  9. I don't know why photos of tumble-down gravestones and battered wooden buildings should have such appeal, but they do. Maybe because you rarely see that kind of thing here; in a small country with a large population that kind of thing soon gets tidied up - or else vandalised. One wonders at the lives these people must have led - initially full of optimism and determination, but slowly it must have dawned upon them that this idea just wasn't going to work out and it was time to move on yet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, yes they do have an appeal. There are so many pioneer cemeteries here, many maintained by volunteers or local groups, many left to nature.
      Pioneer stories fascinate me.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you found and photographed the old church before it disappears forever Jenn, I think these old buildings could be preserved as part of the history of the area. The old gravestones are particularly poignant around this particular time, Remembrance Day ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PDP, I am glad I found it too! I wish they could all be saved! Not enough money or local interest I guess.

      Delete
  11. Awesome, awesome post, Jenn. I was and still am freaked out about on what cemeteries in North America look like … compared to cemeteries in Europe the North American ones are cold and cruel … while in Europe they look and feel like parks … lots of trees and flowers, benches to sit on and birds singing their song … but nothing like that here … all I see is bare cemetery right by the hi way … Anyway … My point is, Jenn, when my baby daughter Jennifer Rose died in 1986, there was no way to bury her on one of those bare hi way cemeteries … so I scattered her ashes into the Atlantic ocean by Pictou Island … and that's my story and I'm sticking to it … smiles … Much love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat, thank you! Yes many of these old pioneer cemeteries are just tiny places dotting the prairie, I find the locations can sometimes be serene and beautiful though. Thank you for sharing about your daughter, Pictou Island looks like a beautiful spot.

      Delete
  12. I have actually heard of Bismark before but never knew exactly where it was! In the Crestomere area, huh? Will have to check it out some day. Great pics and info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim, Yep I can give you directions if you'd like. Not much else there that I could see!

      Delete
  13. Very nice finds, Jenn...especially the cemetery. The Googie-style sign is unusual to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael....yes I thought the sign was unsual too! I do like a nice googie style sign though!

      Delete
  14. The church doesn't look to strong so it is good that you found it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RedPat, I agree! I had to laugh as I had been a road away from it several times, but that's how exploring goes! haha

      Delete
  15. Great pictures. I love seeing old grave yards like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh it's been too long since I visited. Silly me, it'll never happen again. This is fantastic, great photos and such a wonderful setting. Thanks for this article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are forgiven lol, I always appreciate it when you stop by.

      Delete