Sunday, March 15, 2020

Return to Ozark School

With all the craziness in the world right now, I am just trying to keep our days as normal as possible while practicing the new buzzword of the day 'social distancing'. I am not necessarily afraid for myself or my family, if we do get sick, we will recover. I worry about my mother and grandmother and other people in the most affected groups. So dear people, relax, stay in, and have some family time.

In the meantime, it looks like I will have more time to blog and exploring back roads is about as far away from people as one can get.

Let's start with a quick trip I took a couple weekends ago to the Big Valley area. I love this area and have been here several times. I stopped by an old school that was one of the very first schools I searched for and went to find back when I started this exploring thing!

This is Ozark School, opened in 1912. It was moved to its current location in 1950 and looks like it was used a granary.







Ozark School 1949. From Pioneering with a Piece of Chalk.
I spent a good chunk of time here, it was cold and windy and isolated and I loved it. Not much had changed since I was here a few years ago, other than the bell tower which has lost a few pieces.


29 comments:

  1. Oh my. It's old and it's a classic. Glad to have back again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet some lucky kid had the job of ringing the school bell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always makes me sad to see the waste of declining buildings and to wonder about the stories the old building could tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many old buildings and some of them so far from civilization...doesn't sound so bad to me!

      Delete
  4. ...thanks for this installment of magical images, I will be awaiting the next batch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom! I am REALLY hoping to post more.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks William, sure brings up images of the past!

      Delete
  6. We just spent the weekend in Algonquin Provincial Park and while COVID-19 is doubtless on the minds of many, it did not prevent people from getting out on a beautiful late winter weekend to enjoy nature. We can only hope that we are getting ahead if it and will start to flatten the curve shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, I am glad people are out enjoying nature, I think we can all still do that! Our schools have closed and potentially for the rest of the school year which is tough but the window to flatten the curve is closing!!

      Delete
  7. I especially love that first photo. Take care, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Adam, there must be tons of cool old buildings where you live!

      Delete
  9. Thanks BW, this one is one of my first old school loves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos, Jenn! I really love the first photo, the sky in it is perfect. It's a wonderful rural scene. Take care, stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, it was a beautiful chilly day!

      Delete
  11. Ozark is showing its age but it still looks better than most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glen, it is a nice one, there is another old school close by that I will post soon. Have you been here?

      Delete
  12. That first photo sums up the wide-open spaces beautifully. We have somewhat similar scenery in the Fens north of here and I know how difficult it is to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I should've tried one of those 360 degree photos, it would show the extent of the wide open space and isolation.

      Delete
  13. You are right Jenn, now is the time to explore the great outdoors away from the crowds. It certainly does look cold here, beautifully chilly, your old school discovery looks incredibly photogenic in these conditions ✨

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great find! To imagine how it was like back then! Did they at least have an oven inside?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that little roof peak above the door. Nice find!

    I've just returned home from a week long trip through rural Saskatchewan. It's a great time to be out exploring. I think I saw less people during a week long trip than I've seen in just one day at home getting groceries and other necessities. Be safe and courteous when meeting others.

    ReplyDelete
  16. it is a classic school house, i would LOVE to see the inside!!! your pictures are beautiful, i really like the blue, blue sky!!!

    ReplyDelete