Thursday, May 31, 2018

A Quick Jaunt Through Jarvie and Area

On our travels last weekend, we were on a pit stop when it was mentioned by a local that a nearby town had an old General Store. I'd like to think I am familiar with many places in Alberta, even if I haven't been to them I might have heard the name or know roughly where it is. Well, Jarvie was new to me, and it reportedly had a cool general store. We all know 'cool' is subjective, so best to check it out in person.

We rolled into Jarvie, saw an old church, another old building...no idea what it used to be, a speeder, and then the Jarvie General Store. We even drove into a park where there is a Bat & Bird Conservancy.

Here are some images of Jarvie, old and new!




c.1952 Courtesy of the Provincial Archives of Alberta
Former United Church, it looks like it might be a residence now? Unsure. 

c.1952 Courtesy of the Provincial Archives of Alberta
What was it? Photo by Kim Nolan

Speeder! Photo by Kim Nolan
At the store, we asked about the area and were told about an old school not too far away...excellent. Directions were, turn right, follow until you get to a 'Y' in the road, stay left, then there will be a 'T' in the road...we managed to find it after a few kilometers of horribly rutted, not great for cars, kinda road.

Behind the trees and bees and mosquitoes is what is left of Cedar Creek school. My 'source' says this was a log school built in the mid 20's and opened in 1928-29. It doesn't appear to be log, looks like milled lumber to me but what do I know. I wasn't about to go and inspect it any closer, that's bee territory now.


From the road. Photo by Kim Nolan

Surrounded by bees and mosquitoes. 

Also in the vicinity was an odd A-Frame house, the kind you expect to see on a lake or in a mountain resort. There is a summer village on a lake a few kilometers away.

Odd

Know anything about Jarvie? Let me know!

References: Pioneering With a Piece of Chalk; Provincial Archives or Alberta
Photos taken on May 26th, 2018

18 comments:

  1. That steep roofed house really gets my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William, it's unusual which is why I like it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Gorges! Always fun checking out new places.

      Delete
  3. I like how you find archival pictures corresponding to your modern photos of the buildings. Always interesting to see how they've changed/deteriorated. One nice thing about an A-frame house that steep -- you NEVER have to shovel snow off the roof in the winter!

    My favourite picture is of the yellowy-orange railway jigger -- you call it a "speeder" in your caption. Is that what they are actually called? When I was a kid, everyone that I knew called them jiggers. (I believe because they are a teeny version of the engines which ordinarily run on the railway tracks -- just as a jigger of rum or scotch is a tiny portion of the larger bottle it comes from).

    In my small one-horse prairie town, we lived right beside the CPR tracks. We kids who were out playing all day long in the neighbourhood (under no adult supervision, of course) told time by the jigger because it always left with the track repair crews at 8:00 a.m. and brought them back at 5:00 p.m. Also, every day at noon, the town siren would blow. So my Mom always told me to come home for lunch when I heard the town siren and come home for supper when the jigger got back. No kids ever owned watches in those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, I am always happy when my searches turn up old photos!
      I've always called them speeders as long as I have known about them, friends that are railfans also call them that.
      I remember coming inside when the street lights came on!

      Delete
    2. Yup, they're railway speeders

      Delete
    3. Well, I've learned something new today, thanks! But they will still always be jiggers to me -- after 60 years of calling them that, I can't think of them as anything else now, lol!

      Delete
  4. Wise to avoid an old run down building like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great discovery - I like that general store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RedPat! It had everything inside!

      Delete
  6. Hi Jenn! :) Was that an old mechanic shop? The one with the Coca Cola sign? That church does look like a residence actually. Kind of cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rain, I was told by someone yesterday that yes it was a garage, not the original once but same location.

      Delete
  7. Your blog have nice information, I got good idea from this amazing blog.
    I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again…
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete