Friday, August 3, 2018

Foley or Follie Timber School


Tucked away in a corner of my mind, and also in a hard copy file folder full of notes on old schools, was a mention of one called Follie Timber. I have seen it spelled Follie and Foley so I am not sure which is correct (even the local history book uses both). I passed Follie Timber Road recently and a flash of recognition burst forth from the depths of the vast (sometimes useless) ocean of knowledge in my head.

I couldn't not take that road and I eventually came to the site of the former Foley Timber School (as the marker on site confirmed). What I didn't know or expect to see was 2 old schools on the site. The marker in front of the one had the dates 1937-1952. The other school is a mystery. I couldn't find any  information on it.

Foley Timber School District was formed in 1936 and children were were taught at a local farm until the school was built in 1937. It was a bit of a late start for a school but some of the bachelors in the district opposed the school as it would mean higher taxes. A gentlemen named Guy King lead the opposition to the school, but a vote was taken while he was away and when he returned, talk had already turned to building the school. He was a good sport about it and helped prepare the logs. He ended up marrying the first school teacher so it all worked out just fine. After the school closed in 1952, it was still used for wedding dances, showers and other social functions.

I found an undated photo via internet search that does show both buildings.

Internet FTW! Photo by Margaret Epoch 
Foley Timber school is now almost totally hidden in the trees. I didn't attempt to get any closer. The other unknown school was wide open and easily accessible. I don't condone trespassing, especially if it is private property, a house, or marked 'No Trespassing'. These places are still owned by someone even if they are abandoned. I did, however, take a couple photos from the doorway.

Foley Timber, where's the door?

View from the other school

Unknown School



A pretty field down the road form the school
Thank you to the Galloway Station Museum for providing me with information from a local history book that called Then and Now: A History of Niton and Foley Timber.





18 comments:

  1. ...Jenn, you were fortunate to find all this information. For somethings the history just seems to disappear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, I am always happy to be able to find a tidbit of info on one of my finds. Luckily lots of the districts seem to have put out a history book at some point, some are decades old now but include school info.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks BW, always nice to show you something you haven't seen.

      Delete
  3. Imagine the stories in those old walls! Love the visits to the old buildings Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, such important places to each community. I imagine the kids that went here have seen so much change!

      Delete
  4. The proverbial ravages of time. It doesn't take long for nature to begin the work of reclaiming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William, I was saying that same thing. This place might deserve a return a trip once the leaves are gone.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful find and glad you found some info on them. I would love to hear the stories from these old schools, they would be so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill! My grandma is 92 and her stories of the one room school she attended and life in the 20s and 30's are fascinating.

      Delete
  6. When history isn't recorded, it dies with the memory of the youngest relevant person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating discovery Jenn.. whenever I see situations like this I wonder how 2018 will look one hundred years in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PDP, I do that too and wonder. LOL maybe our blogs will be references for future generations.

      Delete
  8. It seems like they will both disappear soon into the underbrush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Red Pat, I agree! I'd like to go back in the fall and have a better look at the one building.

      Delete