Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Spruce Grove Grain Elevator

I have a bunch of posts on the go, waiting for info and final touches. In the meantime, here is a grain elevator!

The Spruce Grove Elevator was built in 1958 and was in operation until 1995. It was then due to be demolished, but thankfully the Ag Society stepped in and prevented what would have been a blow to the already small number of surviving elevators in our province. This one is the last remaining wooden grain elevator on the CN line west of Edmonton

It has been restored, is fully functional and operates as a museum. The Spruce Grove and District Agricultural Heritage Society operates the Museum and Archives. The Farmers Market is also held here every Saturday from April - December.

There was no one else there when we stopped and the volunteer in the elevator office seemed surprised to have more visitors, as one family had already visited that day. Shows how many people stop and see these historical places. Many places we visit (small town museums etc.) operate on donations, I always make sure I have cash with me, it's not always a lot but at least it is something.

After looking around the elevator and taking a few photos, we noticed a trailer in the back that housed the archives. It was open and a lady named Marnie was there, as a volunteer. We had a good chat about old schools, the sad state of funding and apathy towards these old places (by individuals as well as local government). She told me of the plans for the museum, and mentioned more than once that it was something she'd not see in her lifetime. I think she was happy that we stopped to visit. I was.






More info on this elevator here.


24 comments:

  1. A link to the past for sure! Hope it survives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful that it has been preserved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...we have grain elevators is this area, but they are different looking. These say 'prairies' to me. They need to be preserved. Please link this post to 'Tuesday's Treasures.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, nothing more iconic on the prairies. I have always loved them. Will do, thank you!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Gorges, not sure why I didn't take photos inside, the inside is also very cool!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Me too Adam! Apparently it cost $80,000 to repaint it!

      Delete
  6. That elevator was "on my list" when I was in Edmonton, but I chose to roam a different way. Thanks for documenting it and I'll try to catch it next time I'm in the area. I'm glad the volunteers are dedicated and working to preserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, I wish I'd taken photos inside, not sure why I didn't. It's a great looking elevator. I was glad to catch the museum when it was open, I passed a couple times and it was closed.

      Delete
  7. Finally! About time you posted a grain elevator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL probably won't have another for quite awhile.

      Delete
  8. A very nice find and it's excellent that it is preserved. I like the colour green too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! All the Alberta Wheat Pool elevators seem to be this green or a redish brown.

      Delete
  9. I love that not only was the elevator saved but that it has a useful purpose as a museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki, just the kind of places I like to see. Take care!

      Delete
  10. I'm trying to remember where Rick Mercer had gone to help the local volunteers paint a new sign on their elevator. It was a funny show as usual with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that would be good! I will look for it! Probably in Saskatchewan lol

      Delete
  11. Oh thank goodness for preservation societies! Would have been shocking if the grain elevator had been demolished Jenn, beautifully shown here ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PDP, there used to be 3 here so it is nice that at least one was saved. The town I live in now demolished theirs in the 90's so I never did see it.

      Delete
  12. About funding... I'm trying to clean up some long abandoned cemeteries here in Cypress County, Alberta. Just by chance one morning I was out when a fellow walks by with his dog. We start chatting and he introduces himself as the local MLA. I told him what I was doing and he said "there may be some funds from gambling revenues that may help you out." So I called his office the following Monday morning and my request is now "in the system." I'd love millions of dollars but right now I'd settle for a few tanks of gas. I'm hoping something will come of this. In short, call your MLA to see if any funding is available for a project have in mind. I would imagine a non-profit organization would be necessary to receive any government funds. Everyone should make an attempt to save some of our history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I will chat with you more on this!!

      Delete