Tuesday, May 26, 2020

St. Peters Lutheran Church

Welcome to St. Peters Lutheran Church!

The history of this church starts in 1897 as German settlers from the Volyhnia region of what is now the Ukraine, emigrated to the 3 prairie provinces of Canada to start a new life. By July of 1897 a congregation was formed and the all German Sunday Services were conducted in the homes of the parishioners. In 1903 land became available and the church was built. During the tough times of the 30's members remained dedicated and the church was enlarged and a basement added. I would think this the same time the front of the church changed as well.  The first English Services happened in the 1940's, and electricity was added in the 50's.

As with many of pioneer settlements, farms change hands, the older generation passes on and more of the young people move to the surrounding towns and cities. An article I read from 2015 said there is still 2 services a month and the volunteers keep the inside and the grounds looking immaculate.

There is over 120 years of history here at this little country church and I am happy to have learned a bit of history today that I didn't know yesterday.

Photo by my kiddo, out of the car window, so I could remember the name, but it's also a cool sign!

c.1919

25 comments:

  1. Glad to see that it's still in use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to see, I agree! Thanks Gorges!

      Delete
  2. You can certainly see how well maintained this beauty is. Love the sky in that photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I read that in the past (or maybe still do) they would use students in the summer to take care of the grounds.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Debra, was a pretty good size too!

      Delete
  4. ...first off, what a header image!!! We have a number of similar churches that are maintained, but don't have weekly services here. I'm not sure if I like the 1919 or today's look best! Finding a church and its history is always a special treat. Thanks Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom! I am hoping to find more info on the house in my header photo before doing a post on it. I think the current look of the church is more unique, but I do like the original.

      Delete
  5. My ancestors also originated from Volhynia. They settled in SAsk and built the church. In the 1960's the church closed as there were not enough members left to carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Red! How interesting, until today I did not know anything about the Volhynia settlers! In one article I found it said the settled in these places in Sask: Regina, Rosthern, Yorkton, Langenburg, Lampman, Yellow Grass, Lang, Kipling, Lemberg, Lipton, Mossbank, St. Boswells and Morse. Seems like most country churches have closed their doors.

      Delete
  6. This thumbs up for this old church is well maintained and a model for all heritage buildings must be preserved.
    Greetings from Indonesia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Himawan, thank you! I wish all heritage buildings could be preserved, and it is nice to see one that is. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  7. A splendid little church and good to hear it's still in use. I suspect there's a time when the congregations of these remote churches becomes so small that people prefer to drive to more populated churches further away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, that or it seems like not as many people attend church these days. I know of some country churches that only do special occasions.

      Delete
  8. How wonderful to see the old black and white shot Jenn, thank heavens for those dedicated volunteers who look after this lovely old church 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace, I agree! Those volunteers are good people!

      Delete
  9. It is a lovely little church and so well maintained!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The little church is a beauty, well taken care of and loved. Cool sign and a dramatic looking sky. Nice pics, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, this church and grounds had a nice serene feel to them.

      Delete
  11. It's great to see the church and cemetery so well maintained. Glad they kept the little round windows in the transition to the new design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, yes I noticed those cute little round windows and the stained glass too. A nice spot for sure.

      Delete
  12. It looks great. I love the old photo though. Hope you're having a nice start to summer Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  13. little church, but good maintenance...
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete