Wednesday, July 8, 2020

The Old Man's Home

There is a particular house that I drive by sometimes that I have always meant to stop in and ask for permission to photograph. I never see vehicles at the newer home there so I wasn't sure if it was empty or not. 

As luck would have it, I was headed home last week and the old truck in front of me turned into that property....I followed but stopped closer to the entrance. You never know what someone might think about being followed onto their property by a stranger.

An older gentlemen got out and walked over and I went into my awkward speech asking to take a photo of his old house. He said there wasn't much to see as it's in rough shape, which I told him was just fine. I still see the beauty in it. 

I asked if he knew much about it and he said it was built around 1912 and that he was born in it...I would guess in the 40's. I didn't ask him his age. I asked if he had a big family and he said it was just him and his parents. We chatted a bit more about current events, swatted mosquitoes and I think we were both thinking about the past. Him with his memories and me with my imagination. 

I thanked him for his time and he wandered off behind some old outbuildings, probably doing some of the same farm tasks he's been doing for decades. 







As always, thanks for sticking around and reading my sporadic posts. I have a backlog of images to post so I am hoping to get them all blogged soon! I hope everyone is safe and healthy. Take care. 

19 comments:

  1. That second photo is spectacular.

    I love how your story of meeting the man brought the old place to life! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It seemed like a good prairie shot! :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like he'd have tried to save it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gorges, yes I think so but like lots of these rural places he has trouble with vandals unfortunately.

      Delete
  3. ...a neat house and a neat conversation! I do the same thing when I'm out, but I don't always meet up with someone who has information. Luck you! I hope that life out on the prairie is good these day, take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, it's always a great conversation when I happen to meet a local or a homeowner.

      Delete
  4. Your posts are always worth waiting for. As usual you've found interesting buildings to document in your own inimitable photographic style. You have spectacular skies in your part of the world, very unlike the flat slate-grey that's hanging over us at the moment. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words John! That day was just before a storm. It has been a stormy summer so far. I love the dramatic clouds.

      Delete
  5. Great photos, Jenn - very evocative. I'm glad you were able to meet the older gentleman and get permission to photograph these charming old buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! I wouldn't normally have been on that road at that time on a weekday so maybe it was 'meant to be'! Hope you're well!

      Delete
  6. Glad you were finally able to cross that one off your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra, makes me wonder why I don't just stop more places to ask permission. I usually travel alone and have an overactive imagination lol so maybe that is why...

      Delete
  7. Your skies are always dramatic and I love them. Nice old building with lots of stories. So glad that you met the man who was born there. Incredible how fate locks us in to something we search for and give us nuggets that add to the story. Nice to see you again Jenn. Take care, stay safe and keep clicking away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill, seems the weather changes here often enough that I can wait for the dramatic skies that will always show up!

      Delete
  8. Meeting the person who lived in the old house adds so much to the experience of photography and credibility as a blogger. I think that he probably really enjoyed talking to you as well. That's a win, win and win situation. You win with getting the photograph, he wins with a chance to share his story, and we win by getting to read about it in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glen! Not quite as cool as your last blog post but still nice to meet someone who lived through the history I love to explore!

      Delete
  9. Meeting the person who lived in the old house adds so much to the experience of photography and credibility as a blogger. I think that he probably really enjoyed talking to you as well. That's a win, win and win situation. You win with getting the photograph, he wins with a chance to share his story, and we win by getting to read about it in your blog.

    ReplyDelete