Monday, December 12, 2016

Canmore Helicopter Ride

Majestical

"Oh, you know I really am fascinated with aviation.  I never knew they did it all with rubber bands."  Auntie Mame (1958)

The Fam 
For real though, helicopters are COOL.  I have been on 2 helicopter rides in my life.  The first time was when I did a student exchange during high school in Yellowknife, NWT. This was the same time I saw the real Ragged Ass Road, went ice fishing for the first time, road a dog sled, and flipped a ski-doo (luckily not permanently injuring my friend David). My northern experience could be a whole new post. Anyway....I wanted to share my second helicopter ride. The reason for this helicopter ride was to celebrate my grandmother's 90th birthday in April of 2016.  She's always wanted a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon but even at 90 you can't always get what you want. Sorry Nana, I wish we could've all taken you there. We decided to surprise her with a helicopter ride over Canmore and the Rocky Mountains. We all met for lunch at Murrieta's in Canmore.  Alpine Helicopters called during lunch to tell us it was too foggy to fly. Fortunately after walking around a bit to kill some time, the skies cleared and we were cleared for take off. Nana had the seat of honour up front with the pilot and there were 5 of us in the back.  Myself and my son, my 2 sisters and 1 bro-in-law.  The hour flight flew by. Nana loved it and got a bit teary eyed as she does quite often.

It was an amazing sight to see the Rocky Mountains from the air.  I would love to do it again in the summer! It would be quite a different view.  I highly recommend seeing the Rockies this way if you are ever here, they are impressive from the ground and even more so by air.

Nana is still going strong at 90, maybe a Grand Canyon trip is still in the cards.
Roadside wildlife

Canmore

Three Sisters (the mountains)
Three Sisters (the humans)

They are not very roomy inside
Up up and away!


Glacier up close
Guess which one is Nana!


Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death, LIVE! - Auntie Mame




7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift!!
    My son-in-law has his pilot's license. A few years ago he rented a small plane and took me for an hour's flight for my birthday. The scenery here in Minnesota isn't nearly as spectacular as yours, but I'll bet I enjoyed my flight as much as your Nana did hers. Nana and I are both blessed to have those around us who make life so much more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! I bet that was fun! It is great to have close family. :)

      Delete
  2. Fantastic! It's been a long time since I've been in a helicopter but I always enjoyed the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! Hopefully we will get to go again someday.

      Delete
  3. Wow. Photos are breath takingly beautiful.

    I took a heli ride over Sturgis SD during bike week eons ago. No doors. Little bit scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fjord! I bet that was an awesome view of Sturgis! No door though...eeeek!

      Delete

  4. Book a West Rim package, and you will be picked up from your hotel freed from charge, and in fact you will be within the company of a professional guide/pilot.
    helicopter ride houston tx

    ReplyDelete