Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Rowley

View from the highway, I love Rowley already!
It was a beautiful September day and NO ONE wanted to go for a drive so I packed up my essentials and hit the road.  Destination: Rowley, AB.

I think Rowley is a hidden gem in Alberta! It's heyday was in the 1920's when it had a population close to 500. Now a virtual ghost town (pop. 6-8 according to online info).  Locals have lovingly restored many parts of town. Not every building is historically accurate but is doesn't take away from it's charm.  It's been used as a movie set a few times, notably for Bye Bye Blues (1989) and Legends of the Fall (1994).  I suppose this is what prompted the sign 'Rowleywood' to be erected on the hillside.  (No photo...shame on me).

How fun is this....on the last Sunday of every month, pizza night is held at Sam's Saloon, people gather from all around for this event and the ghost town has life again for a brief time.  If I was a ghost, this is definitely where I'd hang out. 

The day I visited I was blissfully alone to soak up the history and scenery.  The highlight for me, is the 3 restored grain elevators and train station.  Rarely do you see grain elevators and a train station, but 3 elevators is amaaaazing.  3 elevators and a train station, all in their original locations is something special to say the least.  I seem to have spent the majority of my time near the elevators.  I know I missed some other cool buildings....which means I will have to go back!

Pizza anyone?


Former hospital, former residence.  


United Church


In the shadows of giants


On the old railbed


Bye Rowley, until next time!

Check out these 2 blogs for more Rowley!
http://www.bigdoer.com/11640/exploring-history/rowley-alberta-ghost-town/
http://everybodyhastobesomewhere.blogspot.ca/search?q=rowley






5 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite destinations. I want more people to see this place. The problem is that if they do it would no longer be a hidden gem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos... makes me want to visit this little gem too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someday I will get there! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you do get to see it someday!

      Delete