Friday, November 4, 2016

Notre Dame de Savoie Church




For my first post, I want to share my most recent adventure through Central Alberta.  This place was one I have been meaning to visit.  I knew I had a few hours to myself so I loaded up the essentials: coffee, camera, lenses, back road atlas, water, snacks, rubber boots, more coffee and some good music.  I also stopped for coffee along the way. 

Notre Dame de Savoie can be found on a quiet crossroads NE of Halkirk, AB.  Kitty-Corner to the church is a cemetery that appears to be kept up.  Beyond that is the Paintearth Mine operation.

This church was built around 1915 by the local Francophone community and was in use until 1964.  A newer church was then built nearby but has since been torn down.  Notre Dame sits silently, save for the flapping and cooing of the pigeon population inside.  I didn't venture into pigeon territory any further than the threshold.  You never know with these old places and exploring alone makes me extra cautious.  My over active imagination also doesn't help....picture falling through the floor boards and being covered in pigeon poop or WORSE.  No thanks.  

I took a few moments to soak in the peaceful quietness and to think about what an important place and hub of activity this once was to so many settlers and families in the area. Even in this state, it still holds a certain charm and beauty and I am hoping it withstands the elements a bit longer.  Γ€ la prochaine! 








17 comments:

  1. Congratulations on you new blog and first post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nudge to get it started!

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the blog world. Well done photography and good writing. It will be a big success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures Jenn... I'll be looking forward to your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to blogging!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to Blogland. I so enjoy BW's blog and now I can go along with you, too, on your adventures. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm just figuring out Blogland, thank you for the welcome.

      Delete
  5. Welcome, I shall look for more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! Thoroughly enjoyed your first post and look forward to seeing more hidden treasures of your beautiful country. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I'm looking forward to this new blog world!

      Delete
  7. Welcome to blogging! Looking forward to reading your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I better figure out my next post!! 😊

      Delete
  8. Great start Jenn, keep up the blog, I am a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ron! I kinda like this blogging thing!

      Delete
  9. Fantastic Jenn! I love how informative and funny this is - you nailed it! Can't wait to keep reading. :)

    ReplyDelete