Friday, November 11, 2022

St. Luke's Anglican Church - Remembrance Day 2022

Hello Friends!

Today I stopped by St. Luke's Anglican Church, a picturesque Gothic Revival style church in the heart of downtown Red Deer, Alberta. Built in stages between 1898-1906, of locally quarried sandstone, it is the oldest active church building in Red Deer. The foundation was laid in 1898, the first section was completed in 1899, the second section in 1900, and from 1905-1906 a choir vestry and the battlemented tower were added to complete the construction. The church became a Municipal Historic Resource in 2009 and a Provincial Historic Resource in 2012.

I have stopped to photograph this church before and I see it so I often that I forget to appreciate it. This year the church started a Poppy Project that saw 9000 handmade crocheted poppies draped from the church tower. It is a beautiful and touching tribute to the souls who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms.

c.1906 from the Glenbow Archives

c.1907 Red Deer Archives

A photo I took in 2019

November 11, 2022





Lest we forget. 


16 comments:

  1. You beat me to get some very nice photos. I must get down there before they take them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red! Better go tomorrow, I think they ae coming down right away.

      Delete
  2. ...what a wonderful surprise to see you on my reader list. Poppies in the snow is a sight to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom! Sometimes I can fire off a quick post and other days I can't even get started! lol

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful tribute! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! I hope they add to it in the coming years! I can imagine it takes a long time to crochet 9000 poppies!

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard about the poppy draping -- stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra! I saw that the flatiron building in Lacombe had a similar display. I didn't get to see it though.

      Delete
  5. I really like the mix of historic and current photographs. Great post Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glen....I do love a good 'now & then'!

      Delete
  6. What a nice tribute, very pretty to see Nice to see this post from you, hope your doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill! Thank you, doing well here. Lots of snow!!

      Delete
  7. The poppy draping is absolutely breathtaking. Thanks Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, it was a beautiful sight!!

      Delete