Monday, October 1, 2018

Update on the Stone Castle of Sylvan Lake

Well, September has ended. October has started with another full day of snow. Maybe Fall really isn't coming to Alberta!

Anyway! One of my early blog posts was about the few remaining historical buildings in Sylvan Lake, AB. The town I now call home. Of note was my favourite building, referred to as the Stone Castle or just The Castle. Read my previous post here.

I am sad to report that last week fire gutted the inside of the castle. It has been vacant and boarded up for years, but it seemed to be common knowledge that people had found a way in and were hanging out inside. I think I can safely say that a person was responsible for the fire whether accidental or not. I have read that the owner, who does not live here, has not been cooperative or interested in talking about starting the process to have the building declared historic. It also does not seem to me to be a priority for the town.

On the night of the fire, I was driving home when I saw the smoke, I drove towards it and saw  several cars pulled over and people watching the fire from the back of the property, the volunteer fire department was already on the scene in the front. People seemed shocked to see that it was the Castle. I stood and watched and chatted with strangers about the castle. It was a somber atmosphere, punctuated by the sirens and sparks from a power line that went down as we watched the castle smolder.

No one knows what will happen to that castle now, the stone structure is still standing but the insides and roof are charred and beyond repair. Sadly, I never saw the inside.

Some more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/Sylvan-Lake-Stone-Castle-1598203890457925/

Here are a couple that I took:

Sept 26th - Side of the castle, hard to tell but there is more back in the trees

Sept 27 - Front of the Castle the day after the fire

I will catch up with everyone's blogs over the next few days!! I have missed being able to read them daily.

Here is a photo from today in Central Alberta....hope things are nicer where you are!

Happy First Day of October!


28 comments:

  1. That's a shame. Maybe someone would be interested in restoring the inside and make the necessary renovations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, I have been talking to someone...a committee may be forming...stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. Oh my on two fronts, the snow and the loss of the Castle. Good to see you back, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! I am catching up....not sure where the time goes.

      Delete
  3. As it's a stone building renovation should at least be possible. Maybe this seeming tragedy will lead to some sort of action, one way or another. It's far too early for me to be thinking about snow, though it did once snow here on Nov 8! My father, a farmer, always used to say that he could get all the snow he wanted by watching the skiing on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I hope it does, I have been talking to some other people interested in the preservation of the castle.
      This is early for snow. Sometime we are lucky and have a nice warm Halloween for the kids but other years we plan our costumes on whether or not a winter coat will fit under. Hoping this clears up by then!!

      Delete
  4. ...I always look forward to the first snow of the year. Sometimes it comes in October, but I can waitanother month or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, it's here so we will deal with it, I just hope it warms up for Halloween. Trick or treating is not as fun in a snowsuit lol!

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, that's a sad loss for your community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, it is. I wish more of the community cared about these buildings. Sylvan doesn't really bill itself as a historic town. Not the image they want I guess with the lake etc.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Adam, that sounds tropical to me at this point lol!

      Delete
  7. And it won't be salvaged, from what you indicate of the owner. I'm reminded of a developer here who has a deteriorating heritage building that hasn't been worked on in years, and there's nothing but excuses, silence, and belligerence out of him.

    The snow is a welcome sight to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William, hopefully something good comes from it.
      I don't mind the snow.....but can it wait until November lol!

      Delete
  8. That is so sad to see the building burn, I don't understand why people leave buildings empty and do nothing with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RedPat...yes especially when they are people willing to do the work for the owner.

      Delete
  9. That's too bad about the castle. Maybe something goood will come out of it. If the town already has a lake, I think a castle would be a nice addition to have in the community. I guess time will tell.
    Snow, we don't see too much of that stuff, we have rain and more rain and t rained today. :)
    Nice to see you around again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill, the castle is definitely an interesting piece of history.
      LOL, did it rain today too?

      Delete
  10. I am sorry for the demise of stone castle … but living is the main purpose in this life, and what has a will to live until politics/ money get involved … Your blog is much appreciated, Jenny … Much love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello ^.^, thanks for the comments. Hoping that the citizens can sway the political agenda in this case.

      Delete
    2. Hello, So sorry to hear of the Stone Castle fire. We rented it in the mid 1980s and have many fond memories. It was sad to see the neglect in the past years. We feel fortunate to have lived in the house and in Sylvan Lake when it was still a "one horse town" (except in the summer!)with no traffic lights, a curfew siren and even the odd tumbleweed blowing down the main street. Miss those times. Tess Frech

      Delete
    3. Hi Anonymous, thanks for the comments! I was wondering when someone last lived in it. I wish I could’ve seen it and the inside back then. Sylvan sure has changed.

      Delete
  11. I can't believe that you have snow already Jenn! Such a shame about the castle, does seem a bit suspicious. We've had a few similar incidents here with heritage owned buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PDP, lol want to do a house swap? It's such a unique building....I mean there are not many castles in Canada!

      Delete
  12. I get lured into this every time, but my gosh that photo of the snowy trail looks so pretty and makes me long for snow...aaaack! I said it....okay, I will have enough snow soon and shouldn't with for some!!!

    That's really sad about the castle and the lack of interest shown by the owner and the town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rain! Yes that snowy trail does look pretty! I agree.

      Delete
  13. Hi Jean I know this comment is a year belated but thanks for this article! I think this house should be remembered it was the start of this little community. its so sad that no one in charge cares about it...once again thanks for this information on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, sad to see a historic building left to rot.

      Delete