Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Telfordville Detour

The hamlet of Telfordville was a treat, I didn't know what to expect here but was surprised at it's charm. If you come in from the highway north, the pretty tree lined road winds down into a river valley and is pleasant change from the surrounding farmland. Keep on this road and it will eventually meet up with the same highway again to the east. It's a great little detour! We came in from the south though on a totally different road!

The first thing you see coming from the south, is an old building with a false front. Perhaps it was a garage at some point. Near this building is what appears to be an unoccupied house. There is an overgrown gate and path. There is no driveway or approach that looks used, that I could see.




Telfordville also has a church and a community hall and about 10 km SE of here we happened to come across the former location of the Telfordville School. Not to be confused with Telford Hall, which also was a school and is also not too far away.





Telford Hall (formerly Telford School), Telford Lake and Telfordville all appear to have been named in honour of Robert T. Telford. He arrived in the area, that is now Leduc, in 1889 after serving with the NWMP. His land is what is now the City of Leduc. He was the first businessman and mayor of Leduc and later became an MLA serving from 1905-1915. Telfordville is 45km west of Leduc.


References: Place Names of Alberta Volume III




24 comments:

  1. So the Minister gets the best parking spot? Must be nice to be "connected". Just love that little house. So charming. And that overgrown trellis, now that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I doubt anyone messes with the Minister spot.
      It was a really picturesque place, it felt like I'd left Alberta for a minute actually. Thanks for commenting Chris!

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine living in such an isolated place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RedPat, LOL maybe a weekend place here and main house in the city!

      Delete
  3. A wonderful find. The house seems hidden in the background, I wonder if the minister lived at one time. That church is rather nice and well cared for. I love the school sign, very creative and well done. Nice photos Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! Perhaps...they are not right next to each other but anything is possible!

      Delete
  4. A great find Jenn. Welcome back! I’ve missed your excursions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie, thank you! The days are flying by lately!

      Delete
  5. Interesting history about the mountie Telford!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, yeah, that was something new that I learned! I bet there are more Telford related things in Leduc...at the least a Telford Street or park lol

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks William, not old old but nice in its simplicity I think.

      Delete
  7. I remember the first time I drove through the valley into Telford's little paradise. It is quite surprising how quickly things can change from the endless farmlands to a hidden valley. Great images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glen, a hidden valley is the perfect way to describe it!

      Delete
  8. I like the shop.... if the walls could talk :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frank! For sure...I wish I had been able to find some old photos.

      Delete
  9. I've seen only one thing in our town with a false front, it does throw you off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam, there are a few scattered around here, I love seeing them.

      Delete
  10. Great find, Jenn! The little house has a popular 1960's style of painting the lower siding one colour (yellow) and the upper portion another colour (white). One doesn't see that very often anymore.

    And that school sign is absolutely day-glo neon and psychedelically inspired. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael! Yes I have seen a few houses with that colour style. ONe of my faves is teal and white.
      Yes, that school sign isn't subtle at all, they wanted it to stand out I guess!

      Delete
  11. You do find the most interesting places to explore Jenn! Wonder what the population of Telfordville is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PDP! I read the population is about 20 (as of the 2016 census).

      Delete
  12. Hi Jenn, The false fronted building was a garage and my aunt lived in the little white cottage many years ago. So great to find your blog, even if a few years late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that cottage is in a great location. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete