Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Faux Brick - Just Say No to Faux

Wonderful Wanda

I have seen several old school houses that at some point were covered in a hideous looking faux brick looking asphalt shingle type material.  I am sure at the time it was cost effective and seemed like a good idea but it looks terrible and covers up the original school which is what I like to see. I'm also sure it was done with good intentions to prolong the life of the building. Still, it's ugly. Just my opinion...stucco and siding covered schools will be future posts haha.

Despite their unsightly exteriors they are still schools and they still exist. Which is all that matters, since so many were torn down, moved, or dismantled.

Prepare to be schooled:


Wanda School
Calkins Valley School
Ridgewood School
Howell's Lake School
That's it for today, short and sweet. Thanks for visiting.

10 comments:

  1. This is definitely a crime against architecture. I have seen it committed many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was a thing. At least the original is under there somewhere.

      Delete
  2. It was inexpensive and lasted forever as we already know. The house I grew up in was sided with asphalt siding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't ever seen this until I started exploring. It sure looks like brick from far away.

      Delete
  3. I'm perhaps alone on the fence here. In some applications the faux-bricks are clearly a disaster. But in others, old shacks and near-falling-down sheds, it seems to add an odd kitschy charm. A cheap and inexpensive way to make a dump look like a dump.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can appreciate that charm. Thanks for reading Chris! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that's insulbrick... commonly used as a cheap alternative to siding from the 1930s to 1960s until vinyl siding became available. I agree, it's ugly as anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! Ugly for sure, but I guess it served a purpose!

      Delete
  6. I agree with you, no faux anything!!! esp faux bricks, they just don't look good anytime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of those tricked me, from far away I was all excited to find a brick school....lol darn faux bricks!!

      Delete